Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Some Test Results

We met Allie's GI doctor on Monday morning.  We received the final results of her Upper GI Series test, which basically showed there was no obstruction.  The test also revealed that she has inflammation in her stomach and the top part of her intestines. 

At this point, we don't know why her stomach and intestines are inflamed and who knows if we will ever figure it out.  Seems like there are always so many opened ended questions. 

Allie has started a new medication called "Ranitidine".  This medication will help her stomach not produce so much acid, hopefully this will help bring the inflammation down.  She is on 10ML twice a day by G-tube.  We are hoping this helps.

Since being off the Domperidone (Canadian medication), Allie has not complained of as many belly aches.  The doctor did confirm that with the inflammation in her stomach and then adding the Domperidone, it could have caused bad cramping.  So, since she is now off of the Domperidone, we have seen a decrease in her belly pain.

However, Allie is continuing to vomit solid food.  She is doing okay with her liquid, so we are thankful for that.  She still will not drink her milk though - she refuses to drink anything except water.  When I give her a feeding, I cannot put more than 3 oz in at a time because she's crying that she cannot handle it.  So, I know something is funny with her belly - and I'm not convinced the inflammation is the only thing.

Allie lost weight again.  She is back down to 26.2 pounds - that's quite a drop.

We have provided the doctor with a stool sample because Allie has had diarrhea for the past couple days.  They are checking her for Roto Virus, white blood cells and blood in the stool.  Still waiting for the results.  In addition, we are still waiting for the blood work results that were taken last Friday.

The last bit of news is that Dr. Brown wants to scope Allie again.  He is thinking she also has inflammation in her esophagus.  He would like to take biopsies and check for inflammation and eosinophils.  Her last scope was December 2010 so he feels it's time to do it again.  Her endoscopy is now scheduled for February 24th.  I'm not thrilled about this but I do see his reasoning in wanting to do it - it's just hard to watch your baby be put to sleep.

Allie rocking out


  1. Big hugs Jodi. I'm so sorry Allie is struggling so much, and I hope like heck they can figure out what is hurting her.
    Harmony is just switching to Zantac too! She's been on Prevacid, and for lots of reasons we need to try something else. I'm supposed to pick it up today, but I'll be curious to compare the dose to Allie's.

  2. Jodi,

    Dominic was throwing up all the time when on Prevacid. Since switching to Zantac"Ranitidine" He has not throwing up since and has increased in oral intake. He also has been able to have the drip decreased at night to 10pm-9am and do 2 bolus feeds during the day. Hope this works for you. Dominic takes 2ml of Zantac 2 times a day. Hope you find out more answers. Keeping Allie in my prayers.

  3. Laura - I'm anxious to see what dosage Harmony is going to be on - let me know when you find out please.

    Allie has been on the Ranitidine for a couple days but we haven't seen any change yet. I suspect it will take a least a week before we see any changes. Praying it helps her!

  4. I forgot to check back in! H's dose was 10mg twice a day. We tried for 3 days and she screamed for three days. As soon as we went back to the Prevacid, she was fine. I have actually been taking Zantac too, my own reflux is terrible lately, and it helps me tons. Sigh. Have you noticed any difference for Allie? Has she been in a PPI like Prilosec or Prevacid before? Just curious.