Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tummy Problems

A quick update from my last post, Allie's black stools were caused from constipation.  I ended up giving her Ex-lax one afternoon and she was up all night pooping.  After that, she didn't poop for 4 days but once she started it was back to normal.  So, it turns out the medication was not causing internal bleeding in her stomach - what a relief!!

However, new things have been happening with Allie.  To keep things short and sweet, I'll just list them:

1) She complains daily of a stomach ache.  Allie previously never complained of tummy pain, now it's daily and it really seems to bother her.  She normally lays down or just wants to be cuddled when her tummy hurts. 

2) She is randomly vomiting.  Seems she is throwing up solid food from hours and hours ago.  Food that no doubt should have been digested.  Allie had been vomit free for a year and now she's starting to vomit randomly.  It's never during a feed though - this is something different.  Her vomiting is forceful, it's not a vomit like when she has too fully of a tummy from her feedings.  When she first started the vomiting, I thought she had the flu, but it went on and on and it was random.

3) I cannot get her to eat barely anything and even more strange is I cannot get her to drink her milk.  Allie always drank a fair amount of her formula (milk) each day, now she won't touch it.  She only will drink water.  Of all things - water!!!!!  Don't get me wrong water is good for her but I wish she would pick a liquid with calories. 

With these 3 things happening all together and they have been going on for a little over a week, I have decided to stop her medication (the one from Canada) immediately.  So as of Friday, she has been done with her medication.  I'm assuming it will take several days for the medication to get out of her system.  As of today, she's still complaining of belly pain, she won't drink her milk and she is still randomly vomiting.   So, I'm not sure what is going on but I'm not liking it.

The other thing that is possible is her tummy is shutting down more.  She might be not be able to handle any solids at this time and maybe her rich milk is causing her to have stomach pains.  Praying her stomach is still functioning at the 16% or higher, but from the symptoms we are seeing, it's somewhat unlikely. 

I'll be keeping a close eye on her and talking with her GI doctor again.  Right now I'm not freaking out but if this continues even after the medication is completely out of her system, I will be stressing!!!!

Besides these new symptoms, Allie is doing good.  We are still waiting to hear back from the Achieve Center to schedule her evaluation on behavior issues.  I am hoping to get an appointment set up sooner rather than later but right now her behavior is not top priority, her tummy is :-)

Chloe & Allie pretending to take a nap together




No comments:

Post a Comment