Friday, November 19, 2010

This is how Allie eats breakfast...........

Here is a little glimpse into how our meals are in the Berndt house.  This is breakfast and Chloe and Allie sit at the island every morning and eat cereal or whatever they choose.  99% of the time it's cereal.  Allie almost always has to have the same kind of cereal that Chloe eats, however Allie very seldom touches it.  Before every tube feeding, we offer Allie her milk and something to eat.  She is required to get 225 calories at each sitting so whatever she doesn't consume orally goes into her tube.  On an average day, she will consume 50-80 calories by mouth so she is very tube dependent at this point. 

This video gives a typical example of how Allie eats breakfast or doesn't eat I should say.  I have pretty much given up fighting her to eat and if she chooses not to eat, I'm okay with that.  We have tried for 2 years to make Allie eat orally and nothing we do works.  I am sharing this video so YOU can see what I'm talking about when I say, "Allie doesn't eat like a normal child".  This is just one example but every meal is like this.  In sharing this video, I'm also hoping that other parents who have children like Allie can relate and realize that you are not alone out there.  In the last couple months, I have met several families with children like Allie and it's a relief to know we are not alone.

Here is a short vomiting story from this morning.....Allie and I did some errands and while riding in the van, she drank 3 oz of milk (Boost Kid Essentials 1.5 cal).  Within 20 minutes of drinking it, we were at school picking up Chloe.  Among all the parents and children, I started to hear Allie say, "no feel good mama, no feel good".  I immediately asked Allie if she was kidding or was she really going to get sick.  She said, "no feel good".  We started booking it to the bathroom because often there is very little warning before the vomit starts flowing.  I'm sure the parents thought I was rude as I was pushing through the crowd to the bathroom but I figured that was better than Allie throwing up all over the floor, especially because I had nothing to catch her vomit in.  Today - I was unprepared because I never thought she would vomit by what she drank orally - normally her vomit is because of a tube feeding.  Anyway, the minute we walked into the bathroom, Allie started vomiting.  It lasted 5 minutes and everyone started asking if we were okay.  We were fine - we are pro's at this!!!!  I'm just thankful we made it to the bathroom.  After Allie was done vomiting, she was right back to her playful giggly self.   It seems as if Allie's vomiting is happening more often in public and it's stressing me out.  If this keeps up, I will seriously be carrying a bowl and a towel with me at all times!!!!  Having Allie vomit at home is one thing but it's a whole new level when it's happening in public. 

The video is a little long and probably boring for you, but it's the life we live everyday with Allie.  This is a true breakfast of a 2 1/2 year old that doesn't eat orally.  Actually, just the fact that she ate a bite or two and drank a couple sips of milk is a plus, plus she stayed at the table.  Most of the time, she doesn't sit for more than 5 minutes - simply because she's not interested in the food.!!  ENJOY!






2 comments:

  1. Big hugs to you, Jodi, and our sweet
    Allie Bug... wish I could make it all go away. I'm praying. :-)

    ReplyDelete